FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When should I use a moist heating pad?
Moist heat therapy products are perfect for patients with dry skin or those who are prone to skin irritation. The moisture prevents skin dehydration and increases tissue elasticity during use. Moist heat therapy is also known to penetrate deeper into the skin which relieves pain faster.
Benefits of Moist Heating Pads
- Provides deeper penetration of the tissue at the same temperature
- Changes tissue temperature rapidly & obtains a more substantial response from temperature receptors
- Speeds recovery by increasing blood flow to the targeted area
- Offers quicker pain relief
What is heat therapy used for?
Heat therapy works by improving circulation due to increased temperature. Even slightly increasing the temperature of an injured area of the body can soothe discomfort and increase muscle flexibility. Using heating packs or heating pads relaxes and soothes muscles and heals damaged tissue and is useful for these common conditions:
- Strains and Sprains after the elimination of swelling
- Warming up stiff muscles or tissue before activity
- Relieving back or neck pain related to injury
What is the difference between dry and moist heating pads?
Dry heating pads heat up quickly and tend to stay warmer longer than moist heat packs. Generally they are easier to apply to affected areas and some say dry heat feels the best during application. Conversely moist heating pads promote tissue elasticity and will not dehydrate the skin, promote a deeper penetration of the tissue, and offer a longer lasting effect by improving circulation.