FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why should I offer massage gift certificates in my business?
Digital and physical gift card and gift certificate sales have increased significantly in recent years. With forecasted growth to exceed over $95 billion, this industry has clearly made its mark and is here to stay. Whether you are the owner of a spa or operate as a sole proprietor, offering gift cards can have a positive effect on your bottom line. Benefits include:
- Adding new customers to your clientele
- Generating more revenue per service as clients using gift cards are less sensitive to price point
- Infusion of cash prior to service
- Creating brand loyal customers
How can I sell more gift cards or certificates?
Incorporating gift card or gift certificate sales in your massage business has a number of benefits including gaining new repeat clients and increased sales per transaction. Despite a marked increase in gift card sales industry-wide, a well-thought out marketing strategy is crucial to successfully adding this revenue stream to your personal business. A few strategies to consider:
- Start with setting defined goals. Determine either a simple revenue target or number of cards to sell and track your progress.
- Persuade your buyers to buy for a specific reason, person or occasion through displays and thoughtful packaging.
- Find creative ways to extend your reach to people outside of your existing clientele by finding the gift-givers. Use social media, email marketing campaigns, neighboring business, vendors and, of course, friends and family to target those people searching for the perfect gift.
- Consider creating unique packages and / or incentives to entice active or inactive clients to purchase gift cards.
- Reward loyal customers with discounts for purchasing your gift cards.
How should I handle a lost gift certificate?
In most instances, physical gift cards and gift certificates contain disclaimers stating that if lost or stolen, they will not be replaced. From a customer service perspective, however, that practice may not be the most effective. When selling cards or certificates manually, be certain to use a tracking system and record pertinent details about the sale including an identifying number, the value, date of sale, and the purchaser’s name. Digital gift cards or e-gift cards will typically track the sale automatically.